CD burning problem

john bray jmblin at comcast.net
Sun Dec 19 20:34:44 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-12-19 at 20:15 +0100, Jim Dishaw (dishawjp) wrote:
> Ed,
>

> > Replace /dev/cdrom with /dev/cdwriter. You were trying to record on your reader, not your writer.
> >

> Thanks for pointing out my error in the /etc/cdrecord.conf
> file.  I have changed it to reflect your recommendation.  That line now reads:
>
> cdrom=          /dev/cdwriter      -1      -1      burnfree
>
> however I still cannot burn.  I tried the nautilus CD burning utility.  It quickly went through the "creating
> CD image" part, then hung on "Preparing to write CD"
>
> X hung so badly that to reboot I had to open a virtual
> terminal to reboot.  I tried again after the reboot and this
> time it just sort of died.  I did get the following from
> my /var/log/messages file.  Perhaps you may find something
> helpful there:
> [code]
> [root at eunix etc]# tail -f /var/log/messages
> Dec 19 14:04:41 localhost kernel: hdb: drive not ready for command
> Dec 19 14:04:41 localhost kernel: hdb: status timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
> Dec 19 14:04:41 localhost kernel: hdb: status timeout: error=0xd0LastFailedSense 0x0d
> Dec 19 14:04:41 localhost kernel: hdb: DMA disabled
> Dec 19 14:04:41 localhost kernel: hdb: drive not ready for command
> Dec 19 14:04:41 localhost kernel: hdb: ATAPI reset complete
> Dec 19 14:04:42 localhost kernel: hdb: request sense failure: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> Dec 19 14:04:42 localhost kernel: hdb: request sense failure: error=0x50LastFailedSense 0x05
> Dec 19 14:04:42 localhost kernel: hdb: request sense failure: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> Dec 19 14:04:42 localhost kernel: hdb: request sense failure: error=0x50LastFailedSense 0x05
> Dec 19 14:10:01 localhost crond(pam_unix)[3421]: session opened for user root by (uid=0)
> Dec 19 14:10:01 localhost crond(pam_unix)[3421]: session closed for user root
> [/code]
>
> I really appreciate everybody's help in solving this issue.
>
> Jim

jim -  i've been watching your odyssey for a while now.  i've been
having some problems burning since i went to FC3.

i couldn't even burn as root.  it always hung up on the blank cd-r
insertion.

i'd assumed that it was a problem with my cd burner, but i just
discovered something...

i normally burn with those high class fuji, made in japan disks.  but
i'd wanted to get some cheap ones for times when i didn't care if they
lasted long or not.  so i picked up some memorex disks.

interestingly enough, that's what i'd been using to try and burn.  when
i switched to the fuji disks again, suddenly i could burn.

don't have a clue if this is related, but you might try switching blank
disks and see if it makes a difference to you too.

john