Canon USB printer [SOLVED]

Gustavo Seabra seabra at ksu.edu
Mon Dec 20 05:37:50 UTC 2004

Ed Wilts wrote:

>You can give the TurboPrint drivers a shot.  After all, it's free for
>personal use and it will at least tell you if the margins and everything
>else works properly.

I did. The draft + 300x300 resolution from the Canon BJC-7000 (Foomatic
+ bjc800) driver gives about the same quality printout than the
Turboprint in the 600x600 definition. Also, the TurboPrint is free only
in the lowest definition settings, which is 300x300. Anything higher
than that will print with a 1.5in high x 3in long TurboPrint logo that
appears to come at a random position in the page, overlapping anything
you may be printing. To get rid of that logo I must purchase a license
key, which is about US$30.00 for personal use. That's why I love open
source so much...

Anyway, the Canon BJC-7000 (Foomatic + bjc800) is working fine, so I'll
just keep it. It may be possible to edit the configuration in the
/etc/cups/ppd/<my_printer>.ppd file to get the margins perfect, but I
don't think I'll mess with that for now.

Gustavo Seabra - Graduate Student
Chemistry Department
Kansas State University