Canon USB printer [SOLVED]

Gustavo Seabra seabra at ksu.edu
Mon Dec 20 14:06:33 UTC 2004

Beri, Rohit wrote:

> Gustavo Seabra wrote:
>
>> Ed Wilts wrote:
>>
>>> You can give the TurboPrint drivers a shot.  After all, it's free for
>>> personal use and it will at least tell you if the margins and
>>> everything
>>> else works properly.
>>>

>> I did. The draft + 300x300 resolution from the Canon BJC-7000
>> (Foomatic + bjc800) driver gives about the same quality printout than
>> the Turboprint in the 600x600 definition. Also, the TurboPrint is
>> free only in the lowest definition settings, which is 300x300.
>> Anything higher than that will print with a 1.5in high x 3in long
>> TurboPrint logo that appears to come at a random position in the
>> page, overlapping anything you may be printing. To get rid of that
>> logo I must purchase a license key, which is about US$30.00 for
>> personal use. That's why I love open source so much...
>>
>> Anyway, the Canon BJC-7000 (Foomatic + bjc800) is working fine, so
>> I'll just keep it. It may be possible to edit the configuration in
>> the /etc/cups/ppd/<my_printer>.ppd file to get the margins perfect,
>> but I don't think I'll mess with that for now.
>>
> Well I bought the same i475D but connected directly to windoz... had
> to... anyhow... I want to be able to share the same with my FC2 and
> FC3 machines... any pointers are appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -B

Hi,

This is the best I can tell you now: you can use it in FC3 (haven't
tried FC2, but should work the same) , just use the Canon BJC-7000
(Foomatic + bjc800) driver, which seems to work well. The card reader
you mount in /media after inserting a card (you have to look there to
find the correct mount point). So far, I've only been able to mount it
as read-only.

Gustavo Seabra - Graduate Student
Chemistry Department
Kansas State University