Graphic interface considerations

Jeff Kinz jkinz at kinz.org
Mon Dec 20 15:40:04 UTC 2004

On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 11:16:56PM +0800, HaJo Schatz wrote:
> soraberri wrote:
> I have
> > noticed that at the same screen resolution (1024x768) things are very
> > different from the point of view of object sizes. Icons, buttons and
> > The second thing is about screen displacement or shift. I have installed
> >  Fedora core3 in 6 different computers for now, all six with different
> > hardware and three different monitor brands, and in all of them the same
> > thing: the visible screen is shifted to the rigth, so I have to play
> > with the monitor settings (hardware buttons) to adjust the screen.
>
> You have full control over this by "modelines" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
> However, this is a bit of an advanced topic which would require some
> reading/in-depth understanding of monitor timings.
>
> List, come to the rescue if you know of a simple application which will
> interactively create these modelines for you...

there is an application called xvidtune which is run from the command
line.
On this app (its a GUI) there are buttons which shift the display left
right etc..  You should be able to adjust the display and then save the
config.  You can also change the resolution.

--
Linux/Open Source:  Your infrastructure belongs to you, free, forever.
Idealism:  "Realism applied over a longer time period"