Firefox 1.0-6 + Java SDK 1.4.2_04 = Crash

John Hodges j.d.hodges at sympatico.ca
Tue Dec 21 04:31:32 UTC 2004

Hi folks,

I just installed FC3 last night, got Firefox 1.0-6 via yum update. I
then installed Java SDK 1.4.2_04 and symlinked /usr/java/j2 ...
ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so to /usr/lib/firefox-1.0/plugins. I
check about:plugins and the plugin appears to be loaded correctly.
Whenever I try to load a page containing a Java applet, however, the
browser crashes. I tried uninstalling Firefox 1.0-6 and going back to
whichever version shipped with FC3, but to no avail; still crashes. I
tried googling the problem but only got page after page of browser
crashes due to people copying the plugin rather than symlinking it. Has
anyone else seen this? Am I missing something rather obvious?

Cheers,