Installation of ATI 9800 series drivers

John jdheff1982 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 21 12:34:01 UTC 2004

Howdy! First time posting to the list. First off I wanted to say that
Fedora 3 is a very goo and stable OS. Secondly, I need my video card
fully functional. I can install the rpm with errors. Here is what I get:

*** Trying to install a precompiled kernel module.
*** WARNING ***
Tailored kernel module for fglrx not present in your system.
You must go to /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod subdir
and execute './make.sh' to build a fully customed kernel module.
Afterwards go to /lib/modules/fglrx and run './make_install.sh'
in order to install the module into your kernel's module repository.
(see readme.txt for more details.)

As of now you can still run your XServer in 2D, but hardware acclerated
OpenGL will not work and 2D graphics will lack performance.

failed.
*** Found kernel module build environment, generating kernel module now.
ATI module generator V 2.0
==========================
initializing...
Error:
XFree86 drm includes at
/lib/modules/2.6.9-1.681_FC3smp/build/include/../drivers/char/drm do not
fit this driver.
This driver is designed to only work with X4.1.0 or higher.
You can match this by getting Linux kernel 2.4.8 or higher.
*** WARNING ***
Tailored kernel module for fglrx not present in your system.
You must go to /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod subdir
and execute './make.sh' to build a fully customed kernel module.
Afterwards go to /lib/modules/fglrx and run './make_install.sh'
in order to install the module into your kernel's module repository.
(see readme.txt for more details.)

As of now you can still run your XServer in 2D, but hardware acclerated
OpenGL will not work and 2D graphics will lack performance.

failed.
*** Warning ***
The QT based control panel application did not load in any version.
 ===
ATI display drivers successfully installed
please run 'fglrxconfig' now
 ===
*
*If I try to do the ./make.sh, I get I permission denied. Even as root.
Any ideas as to how I need to do this?? Am I even going for the right
driver??? Thanks for the help!!