Anaconda Crashes during install

Simon Andrews simon.andrews at bbsrc.ac.uk
Tue Dec 21 14:37:06 UTC 2004

Simon Andrews wrote:
> I've had a strange problem whilst trying to upgrade our webserver from
> FC2 -> FC3.  The install proceeds as far as "Searching for previous
> Fedora installations" and then just hangs, until it finally crashes out
> and forces a reboot.
>
> The only clue I've managed to turn up as to what may be causing this, is
> that during the fsck the system tried to scan for lvm volumes using
> vgscan and this caused a segmentation fault (which is reproducible once
> the system is running).  There are no lvm volumes on this machine, but
> there are on our database server - so maybe this is something?

Thought I'd add some more details about this having done some more work
on the system.

It seems that my guess from above was correct in that it was lvm causing
the install to hang.  I found that if I removed our data drive (sdb)
from the machine then I could upgrade the system on sda fine.  I could
also run vgscan without problem.  After upgrading I could reinstall sdb
OK and get it to mount, but vgscan still segfaulted.

So my problem now becomes how to sort out vgscan.  The sdb disk
initially came with an lvm partition on it, but we deleted that and put
on an Ext2 filesystem instead.  However I found that when I run

vgscan -v -v -v

...the final part out the output says:

       Locking /var/lock/lvm/V_vg01 RB
     Finding volume group "vg01"
         Opened /dev/sdb
Segmentation fault

..so it's still trying to find the old volume group which used to be on
/dev/sdb.  The question now is where is it getting this information
from?  Vgdisplay says it knows of no volume groups. Fdisk shows
/dev/sdb1 to have a type 83 partition, the same as all the other Ext3
partitions.

What can I do to make lvm forget this used to be an lvm partition??

Cheers

Simon.