Linux Word Processors

Ryan D'Baisse ryan.dbaisse at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 13:43:34 UTC 2004

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 08:32:55 -0500, David Mackintosh
<David.Mackintosh at xdroop.com> wrote:
> > > So, while I appreciate all of the recommendations thus far, is there
> > > anything out there, besides OpenOffice and Star Office, that will do
> > > this on Linux?  Again, no CrossOver or Wine; something that can run
> > > natively in Linux, please.
> >
> > From rom your description, it sounds like you want Microsoft Word to run
> > natively on Linux.
>
> Sorry, I'm late to this conversation -- why is CrossOver not an
> acceptable option?  While I'm no power Word user, I find that the $40
> I spent on CrossOver to run OfficeXP was money well spent.  (I had a
> task which required Excel, and CrossOver permitted me to run in an
> environment I preferred while getting the job done.)

The decision to not use CrossOver office is driven by the fact that I
do not want to use a Microsoft product for this.  I have been
developing on Microsoft platforms since the 80's.  My goal is now to
develop on, and understand, Linux.  So, everything I do I want to be
as native to the OS as possible.  I agree CO is a great product, and I
will agree that Word does great things with word processing.  I just
don't want to stray.

R/S
Ryan