Athlon+1024 Mb RAM+FC3

Justin Crabtree crabtrej at otc.edu
Wed Dec 22 14:22:04 UTC 2004

John Summerfield wrote:
> I've been happily running Debian/Sarge on my Athlon 1400, Giganyte GS-7 at 748-L
> motherboard, 512 Mbytes RAM.
>
> Following a power failure, I
> a) Replaced CPU fan
> b) added a further 512 Mbytes RAM for a Giggle total.
>
> On reboot, Mozilla, Firefox, Thunderbird (my primar email client) all segfault
> on starting.
>
> Worse, parts of KDE (eg Konqueror and Kkmail) also crash randomly with
> segfaults.

> Somewhere I began to suspect RAM so I ran two or three passes with memtest86
> (from the FC3 DVD) with no errors.

> So...
> Is anyone running FC3 in 1 Gbyte RAM on IA32?
> Does anyone else have any ideas?

My home machine is an Nforce2 Ultra400 board with 1GB of PC3200 memory
and a AthlonXP 2500+ overclocked to a 3200+ by setting the FSB to
400MHz.  It had FC2 on it and just last week I installed FC3.  It runs
great with FC3.  I upgraded the RAM from 512MB to 1GB when it had FC2 on
it and there were no problems.

My guess would still be memory.  My two sticks are matched.  Maybe your
board or the OS is having issues with the different sticks of memory?  A
stretch, but I have seen weirder problems.  If you have some spare RAM
available, you might swap it out and see what happens.  If nothing else,
it would eliminate that as the problem.  HTH.

--
Justin Crabtree
Java Programmer