Compiling and installing ...

Colin J Thomson colin at g6avk.demon.co.uk
Wed Dec 22 16:37:06 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 22 Dec 2004 16:22, Maciek R. wrote:
> Ok, and how do you uninstall progs you have installed with make install?

make uninstall, reading your other post, you said it failed installing
(Errors) so it probably never got installed anyway.

> On Wed, 2004-12-22 at 12:07 +0100, Gianluca Sforna wrote:
> > if you want to have an "easier" experience, I guess you better stay
> > away from compiling stuff and run:
> >
> > yum install gkrellm
> >
> > the package is in extras, so you have to add the repository to your
> > yum.conf: more details on this in www.fedorafaq.org.

Best idea.

FYI its not a good idea to install from source on an RPM based system, you
will run into problems in time.
You can build RPMs from source very easily using Checkinstall:

http://asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall/

Also some sources come with spec files, alsa and xine come to mind, and you
can use rpmbuild for that "man rpmbuild"  works very well :)

Colin
--
Fedora Core 2, Custom Built Kernel 2.6.10-rc3-ck2
KDE-Redhat-3.3.2-1.2.2.kde