usable window manager for FC3?

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Wed Dec 22 21:18:17 UTC 2004

On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 03:22:38PM -0500, James Ralston wrote:
> But I'm sorry, I have to draw the line at being able to bind events to
> key and mouse button combinations.  This is not a feature; it's a
> fundamental capability.

It sure isn't to me. Seems way less essential than some of my other
checklist features (some of which I didn't even know were features, before
metacity came along -- let me move a window up past the top of the screen,
for goodness sake!)

> If I wanted my effing computer to tell me what I should and should not
> be doing, I'd run Windows.  The UI exists to service *me*.  I do not
> exist to find circuitous ways around arbitrary restrictions in the UI
> placed there by people solely because they don't want me to use the UI
> in the manner which is the most convenient for me.

I generally agree with you. This is why I don't use the Gnome environment --
it's clearly not meant for me.