firefox and helper applications.

Tibor-Attila ANCA anca.tibor at gmx.de
Wed Dec 22 23:44:43 UTC 2004

Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 06:16:17AM -0600-i dátummal akonstam at trinity.edu ezt írta:
> I asked before and did not get a useful response. I want to define a
> helper application in firefox that says that let us say:
> application/pdf  with extension .pdf should be handled by program
> acroread. This is easy to do in mozilla but no amount of documentation
> reading shows me how to do this in firefox.
>
> Can someone help?

Do You have the appropiate plugins (flash, java, realplayer, acroread
and eventually xine/ mplayer)? What do You see, if you type
about:plugins? If the plugins are there, than certain file types, e.g.
*pdf will be opened by the appropiate plugin.

The answer concerning download links is also usefull, for each time You
download a new file type _not_ handled by any of the plugins, You can
define what should happen: download to a directory or open with an
application (that You can define within the dialog box as Your default).
I think You will need to provide the full path to the binary.

Otherwise, Mozilla Firefox (I think this, I am not sure) also takes a
look at your .mailcap file. On my mashine it asked, if I would like to
open a OOo-document with OpenOffice.org Writer. So, here is one another
possibility to tweak your browser.

Regards,
--
Tibor Attila ANCA