patch to kernel

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Thu Dec 23 06:03:08 UTC 2004

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004, Globe Trotter wrote:

> Question: How does one patch to a kernel? I am under the impression that i need
> the src.rpm to do this, but is it at all otherwise possible? Also, if I want to
> recompile after patching, how can I do so, given that my kernel is the latest
> at this point?

 - download the .src.rpm
 - explode it with 'rpm -ivh kernel.src.rpm'
 - add the patch to the rpmbuild/SOURCES location
 - add the patch application to rpmbuild/SPECS/kernel-2.6.spec file
 - now build the kernel with 'rpmbuild -ba --target=i686 kernel-2.6.spec
 - Install the newly built kernel from rpmbuild/RPMS/i686

Satish