kernel dependency?

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 07:22:43 UTC 2004

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 23:54:04 -0600 (CST), Satish Balay
<balay at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Dec 2004, Jim wrote:
> > i want to remove the latst kernel installed,  cause when i di updates
> > things got a bit out of hand.   (something to do with a second HD)
> > so i opened the terminal and did this...
> >
> > [jim at My_World ~]$ su -
> > Password:
> > [root at My_World ~]# rpm -q kernel
> > kernel-2.6.9-1.667
> > kernel-2.6.9-1.681_FC3
> > [root at My_World ~]# rpm -e kernel-2.6.9-1.681_FC3
> > error: Failed dependencies:
> >         kernel = 2.6.6-1.435 is needed by (installed)
> > kernel-ntfs-2.6.6-1.435.i6 86
> > [root at My_World ~]#
> >
> > why would such a old kernel still be installed?
>
> Wierd... what do you get for the following?
>
> rpm -qa kernel\*
> rpm -q --requires kernel-ntfs\*
> yum remove kernel-2.6.9-1.681_FC3
>
> Satish

Yes, do try those.  It looks like a left-over ntfs module RPM from FC2
has RPM confused.  Then do:
yum install kernel-2.6.9-1.681_FC3
I assume this will work.  If not, then you can always do it manually
with rpm.  Yum normally saves rpm files to /var/cache/yum/
For future reference, I think it's always better to do a fresh
install.  Make your /home directory a seperate partition and then you
can easily keep your data.  And back up your /root and /etc
directories, especially if you have changed configuration files a lot.

Jonathan