Where to go with FC3 and ACPI?

Ryan D'Baisse ryan.dbaisse at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 15:58:39 UTC 2004

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 09:40:43 -0600 (CST), Satish Balay
<balay at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> You've installed FC3 kernel on FC2? This might be the reason for your
> problems (with all the udev/other changes in FC3). The latest FC2
> update is equivalent to the latest FC3 update. You should either stick
> with the updated FC2 kernel - or do a complete upgrade to FC3.

No, that is not what I have done.  I am running FC2 with 2.6.5-1.358.
Up2Date has given me 2.6.9-1.6_FC2, but I cannot boot to it.  I
initially went from my current kernel to FC3 (blew the machine away
first) and had the problems I mentioned with ACPI.  I then blew the
box away, reinstalled FC2, and that is where I am now.

> With both FC2 & FC3 kernels - ACPI is the default - and APM is enabled
> if booted with 'acpi=off' option.

Then that still brings me to the question as to what is different with
2.6.5-1.358 and 2.6.9.x and above.  Even on FC2, I cannot go higher
than what I currently have.

R/S
Ryan