CD drive mounting troubles

Mark Weaver mdw1982 at mdw1982.com
Thu Dec 23 16:38:00 UTC 2004

Rob Shinn wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-12-23 at 11:12 -0500, Mark Weaver wrote:
>

>>>mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /media/cdrecorder?
>>>

>>the system says that only root can do that which would suggest a
>>permissions problem somewhere.
>>
>>when I "su" to root the system mounts the drive and reports back the
>>following:
>>
>>mount: block device /dev/hdc is write-protected, mounting read-only
>>

> Can you read from the CDRW drive at this point? Does
> 'ls /media/cdrecorder' return a directory listing?

absolutely. it reads the disk just fine then as long as its mounted as
root. Normally I'd know pretty much where to look for this little
problem, but I'm a recent convert from Mandrake Linux and much has
changed in RedHat since Mandrake first split off from RedHat. Some
things are the same but then some things are very different.

--
Mark

"If you have found a very wise man, then you've found
a man that at one time was an idiot and lived long enough
to learn from his own stupidity."