VSFTPD ftp server

Helena Carlsson hlncarlsson at yahoo.se
Thu Dec 23 21:51:57 UTC 2004

 --- Rahul Sundaram <rahulsundaram at gmail.com> skrev:
> On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 22:09:57 +0100 (CET), Helena
> Carlsson
> <hlncarlsson at yahoo.se> wrote:
> > Hello everybody,
> >
> > I have installed VSFTPD ftp server program on a
> fedore
> > 3 and it doesn't work. In fact when I try to
> connect
> > ot my ftp server it asks for a username and
> password,
> > but I don't know how can I create a username and
> > password and specify FTP folders. I
>
> any normal user should be able to use their password
> to ftp into their
> home directory which is their default ftp location
> too. read
> /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf and is man page for the
> configuration details
>
> --
> Regards,
> Rahul Sundaram
>
> --

You mean any unix user who can login into linux should
be able to login via FTP too without adding any ftp
user or anything else ? If yes, I can not. But as
VSFTPD install file says, it is possible to connect
locally by using ftp username and no password and I
could do that too. At first step, I want to be able
specify the folders that an anonymous user can see and
has Read/Write permission. Then, be able to add
username and password and permission to some specified
folders. In manual file it says something about
virtual users but I am not sure if virtual user is the
user that can connect to ftp server or it is something
else.