Generic Kernel in FC3

Brian Mury b.mury at ieee.org
Thu Dec 23 22:24:58 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-23-12 at 11:00 -1000, Amy M wrote:
> I tried to compile the generic 2.6.9 using the stock config file from
> FC3 kernel but failed.  The reason I want to use a generic kernel is
> that the Netraverse patch (for Win4Lin) now only applies to generic
> kernels.
>
> Could anyone who has happily used the generic 2.6.9 kernel with FC3 be
> kind enough to post his/her experience?  Thanx.

I did exactly the same thing, for the same reason (Win4Lin), with no
problems. I got the 2.6.9 source from kernel.org, applied the Win4Lin
patches (there are two, plus an optional patch to allow you to turn
REGPARM on which must normally be turned off in a Win4Lin-enabled
kernel), copied the Fedora config (config-2.6.9-1.681_FC3) to .config,
then built and installed normally. Not a single hiccup. I did make a few
minor changes to the .config, such as optimizing for my hardware,
turning on AX.25 support, etc, but nothing major.

In what way did your compile fail?