Custom Linux

Rob Shinn surak at tuxedo.darktech.org
Thu Dec 23 23:20:34 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-23 at 09:21 -0500, Leonard Isham wrote:
> > Actually, I am kinda wondering the same thing.  So, if I may, here is
> > my logic to want to do this...
> >
> > A friend and I have been kicking around the idea of building a product
> > that will be delivered as an Internet appliance.  Our product would
> > have a custom Internet server to handle the socket-level stuff and a
> > web-based interface for modifying settings of our server and doing
> > basic stuff with the machine, like rebooting.  We would like to use
> > Linux but want it stripped down so that only the bare essentials are
> > available for running our our stuff and the web server.  At this point
> > we are trying to figure out what we would need and how we would do
> > this.

Technically, there's nothing wrong with doing a custom Linux distro
based on Fedora Core.  The relevant licenses (GPL, etc.) allow you to do
this and Red Hat has no problem with it either.  Red Hat's trademark
policy is another issue:  you cannot call it 'Fedora Core' nor can you
say that it's 'based on Fedora Core' or that it 'contains Fedora Core.'
Call it 'Ryan's Cool Linux Distro', call it D'Baissix, call it anything
you want, but you absolutely cannot call it 'Fedora Core.'