FC3 system-config-display

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Sat Dec 25 03:30:52 UTC 2004

On Fri, Dec 24, 2004 at 09:43:37PM -0500, david langton wrote:
> The monitor I'm using was not detected on installation of FC3, so I edited
> xorg.config to put in the horizontal and vertical frequencies and highest
> resolution (1024*768). After doing this, however, system-config-display
> refuses to run. I suppose this means that I need to change another config
> file somewhere, but which one?

I don't think system-config-display has a separate config file. When you say
it refuses to run, what does it do exactly?

It could be simply that you have a typo in the file.

Also, with a monitor with a max resolution of 1024x768, there should be no
need to edit the file by hand -- simply pick "Generic" if it's not on the
list.

> It might be the monitor config information that is messed up, since when I
> do manage to get system-config-display to run, it doesn't allow alteration
> of the monitor information (Only 'Cancel' button is enabled.)

Try "system-config-display --reconfig", and pick the generic option...