Comparing Windows and Fedora Core Font Rendering

Jonathan B. Horen horen at horen.org.il
Sat Dec 25 04:35:01 UTC 2004

[snip]

 > Having done so, I made a series of screen captures under both Windows

> 2000 and Fedora Core 2 (fully updated), on my dual-booting Inspiron
> 5000e laptop. Here are the results:

>   http://cradle.brokenglass.com/arial_test/

> When comparing, please disregard the headings that wound up being
> anti-aliased on Win2K but not on FC2.

> As you can see, the results are not identical, and, I think, look
> poorer on Fedora.

I think they both look terrible.  I'm running Firefox-1.0 on FC/3, with
my font setting for Proportional set to San-Serif 14pt, San-Serif set to
Arial, and "Always use my fonts" checked (selected) -- it looks
terrible; however, changing San-Serif to san-serif, Bitstream Vera Sans,
Luxi Sans, Nimbus Sans L, or Tahoma makes www.slashdot.org look terrific!

Try losing the Arial and using a different proportional font.  Note: I
installed the msttcorefonts-1.3-3 RPM package.

YMMV.