SATA

Mark Weaver mdw1982 at mdw1982.com
Sat Dec 25 15:42:02 UTC 2004

Bob Chiodini wrote:
> Mark Weaver wrote:
>
>> David Corrigan wrote:
>>
>>> I'm about to install Fedora Core 3 on an SATA harddrive, anyone have
>>> any tips or advice before I start? I've heard about some peoples
>>> problems and want to do my best to avoid them.
>>>
>>> David.
>>>

>> Hi David,
>>
>> My experience with FC3 and SATA drives is it really depends on the
>> controller and whether or not the CD drive is IDE or not. I recently
>> had the unpleasant experience of attempting to install FC3 on an HP
>> Proliant and no matter how hard we tried and no matter what we tried
>> it wouldn't go on correctly. We'd get the system to install ok, but it
>> wouldn't boot. kept on dying in the first stages of the boot with
>> kernel panic because it couldn't see the partitions where the OS was
>> located.
>>
>> the problem came down to a catch 22 because of the particular kernel
>> driver that "had" to be present in order to be able to install and run
>> FC with the controller that was in the machine. Had we been trying to
>> install RH Enterprise Linux that would have been a different story.
>>
>> What we finally ended up doing was installing Mandrake 10.0 on this
>> machien and its running fine. My advice to you is to research fully
>> your hardware compatibility before embarking.
>>
> Just installed FC3 on a MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum Socket 939 with a 120GB
> SATA drive.  No problems that I've noticed.  Uses the nv_sata driver.
> It just worked as they say.
>
> Bob...

I've heard from some using the VIA chipset that they were able to
install and run with no problem, however the workstation with a VIA
chipset I had tried to install on wouldn't take the install. Clearly
others' milage varies a lot compared to mine. but its all good
information. I like the VIA chipset, but I like the OS and hardware to
work better, so the more responses we get to this thread the better.
That way we'll know which chipsets and SATA setups readily accept the
FC3 installation.

--
Mark

"If you have found a very wise man, then you've found
a man that at one time was an idiot and lived long enough
to learn from his own stupidity."