cd drive mounting

Steve Fink stevef at netvantix.com
Sun Dec 26 03:58:47 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-12-25 at 20:05 -0500, Mark Weaver wrote:
> Sharon Kimble wrote:

> ya know...I just had a thought. who should "own" the items, cdrom, and
> hdc which are in /dev that represent the CD drive?
>
> --
> Mark
>
> "If you have found a very wise man, then you've found
> a man that at one time was an idiot and lived long enough
> to learn from his own stupidity."

Mark,

My /dev/ listing is as follows:

[root at orion dev]# ls -la hd*
brw-rw----  1 root  disk  3,  0 Dec 25 08:18 hda
brw-rw----  1 root  disk  3,  1 Dec 25 08:18 hda1
brw-rw----  1 root  disk  3,  2 Dec 25 08:18 hda2
brw-rw----  1 root  disk  3,  3 Dec 25 08:18 hda3
brw-rw----  1 root  disk  3,  4 Dec 25 08:18 hda4
brw-rw----  1 root  disk  3,  5 Dec 25 08:18 hda5
brw-------  1 sfink disk  3, 64 Dec 25 08:18 hdb
brw-------  1 sfink disk 22,  0 Dec 25 08:18 hdc
[root at orion dev]# ls -la cd*
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 3 Dec 25 08:19 cdrom -> hdb
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 3 Dec 25 08:19 cdrom1 -> hdc
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 3 Dec 25 08:19 cdwriter -> hdb
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 3 Dec 25 08:19 cdwriter1 -> hdc
[root at orion dev]#

I have done nothing special to these entries, they were configured
default by the system.

Best,

Steve