smbclient works like a charm but smbfs mount fails

Dominique Veillard domv at lafouda.com
Mon Dec 27 01:45:04 UTC 2004

With very limited experience on Linux, I am trying to mount a smb
share on a new Fedora core 3 installation.    I have created a
directory called /mnt/there, with access privilidges rwx to the user

I have added the following line in /etc/fstab:

//host/resource /mnt/there smbfs noauto,username=dude,password=secret 0 0

and the following line in /etc/rc.local:

mount //host/resource -o uid=dude

I remember doing this on a Fedora core 1  CD that came with
a Linux introductory book, and it did work in that case.

With this Fedora core 3 installation, I have done exactly the
same thing, and the share does appears on the desktop, but it is
inoperative.    When the /mnt/there directory is accessed from the
command line, the response is very slow, and I finally get an
"io error" message.

Looking through the redhat knowledge base I have found how to
use the smbclient, and I can access any file in any directory
of the remote resource through the smbclient command line.

Not understanding what SElinux does, but wondering whether it
might complicate the experiment, I turned it OFF.

I get the impression I am almost there, but evidently not quite
there.   If you have any idea of what stands in the way, please
illuminate.    Samba server is not installed.

Thanks,   Dom.

Dominique H. Veillard, CEO
LAFOUDA Solutions.