Problem with esound daemon (esd)

Rob Shinn surak at tuxedo.darktech.org
Mon Dec 27 02:42:37 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-12-26 at 22:51 +0100, Markus Huber wrote:
> Am So, den 26.12.2004 schrieb Rob Shinn um 20:30:
>
> > FC3 detected my sound card as using the snd-intel8x0 driver, which has
> > worked fine for me in the past.  The output for the card detection test
> > was flawless. Output via ALSA and OSS work flawlessly as well.  But any
> > sounds output through ESD get garbled and 'staticky' sounding.
>
> Same experience after an upgrade FC2>FC3.

This makes me wonder if this is either related to an esound or kernel
bug.  Or perhaps there is a difference in the way sound is configured in
the kernel or in esound in FC2 vs. FC3.  Please?  Does someone have a
clue?

> I reinstalled FC2, because I am using this box as radio as well. Everything is fine now.

Yeah, but I had too many other problems with FC2 on a another box with a
similar configuration.  I can't wig out and go to FC2, I have to find
out what's happening and fix it on FC3.

> > This didn't happen on Gentoo, my last distro. (I'm a recent
> > convert/Gentoo refugee...Gentoo was just getting too hairy to maintain
> > given my schedule)
>
> I suppose you have done a fresh install.

Brand new install.  The only thing I saved from the old setup was a
partition that I keep data on.  Everything else was wiped.  I even used
fresh home directories.

> > Anyone got a clue?
>
> Is ist the driver? I use the same snd-intel8x0 driver and works
> flawlessly under FC2.
>
> But nobody else seems to have this problem. Or are so few people using
> Fedora as multimedia box?

Or maybe people just don't have the same problems with the snd-intel8x0
driver? I dunno.  Did you try a kernel upgrade?

Thanks for the reply.

--
Rob Shinn <surak at tuxedo.darktech.org>