Postfix + Cyrus + Catchall Addreses

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Mon Dec 27 05:42:53 UTC 2004

Hi All,

I'm trying to figure out how to implement a catchall address for my
dyndns domain.

I've set up postfix and cyrus properly (I think) and it's working fine
for valid users.

In my main.cf
virtual_mailbox_domains = virtual.domain1.com, virtual.domain2.com
virtual_transport = lmtp:unix:/var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp
virtual_mailbox_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual

$ cat /etc/postfix/virtual
@virtual.domain1.com		anything

The above is "supposed" to function as a catchall address. (I'm
using that as opposed to actually listing down _all_ the valid addreses
in my make-believe domain.)

Valid maiboxes in cyrus are:
user1
user2

If I send an email to either user1 or user2, it will work. Cyrus will
accept the message. But if I send a message to user100(which does not
exist), it gets rejected. (this is not what I want now, since I want
catchall addresses)

If I replace
   @virtual.domain1.com 	anything
with
[1]   @virtual.domain1.com  	user1 at virtual.domain1.com
or
[2]   user1 at virtual.domain1.com

in [1], nothing is supposed to change, since virtual_mailbox_maps
will ignore the RHS value.
in [2], only emails to user1 will be accepted. User2's email will get
rejected.

PS: I know catchall addreses are not encouraged. But for the sake of
learning, I would like to try.

PS: I've not set up anything fancy eg: LDAP/Mysql only local flat files