Arrgh, I cant install FC3! (USB hardware problems?)

Robert Johnson rwj04 at comcast.net
Mon Dec 27 05:59:15 UTC 2004

Hi all, I'm having trouble installing FC3 and need some help.

My system is an factory-generic dell dimension 2300 (P4 512M), 'bout 18
months old, with nothing new added to it other than an nvidia video
card.

I've long since moved my factory-installed XP on one partition.  I hope
to get rid of it entirely someday.  I used to have Redhat 9 on another
partition until RH stopped supporting desktops.  I replaced RH9 with
Gentoo, but Gentoo was too high-maintenance so I thought FC3 would be
better.  Now I have deleted Gentoo and unsuccesfully tried to replace it
with FC3.

So I've got the four disks burned with the FC3 .iso's, and when I start
the first one, everything seems to go well for the first 10 seconds or
so until it gets to the point where I believe the installer is looking
for hardware, and it hangs at the USB detection (?)

This is what the screen looks like during the process

	Call Trace:
	...blah...
	...blah...
	...blah...
	<6> USB Host Controller Interface driver v2.2

Then it returns control of the cursor (just keyboard echo), and hangs.
Ive tried several times, even walked off for half hour, but it doesn't
go any further.  CTL-ALT-DEL to restart machine.

I only have 2 external USB devices:  a printer and a digital camera.  I
disconnected both USB cables from the box and re-tried the installation
-- still the same results.

THEN, I tried installation with the "noprobe" argument, and the
installation went through (apparently) correctly.   Except that now it
won't boot.  The dual-boot option works fine (Fedora or XP), it defaults
into Fedora, and it starts into the boot process like it should, until
15 seconds (or less) into the process, where it is apparently looking
for hardware drivers.   The last few lines before it hangs are:

	[<02136a4a>] sys_init_module +0x207/0x2ef
	Bad EIP value
	     network

I get control of the cursor (again, only for keyboard echo) and hangs.
Now I have to powercycle the machine to get it to restart.

I really want to give FC3 a chance, but im stuck.

Robert