Arrgh, I cant install FC3! (USB hardware problems?)

Deron Meranda deron.meranda at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 07:19:15 UTC 2004

The first thing is to make sure that your BIOS is completely up to
date.  I've had FC3 hang on USB detection on other systems (non-Dell)
before, and a BIOS upgrade fixed it.  FC3 seems to be more sensitive
to broken USB devices/firmware than previous releases...probably
because it's now implementing a more complete and standard USB
subsystem (including hotplug).

As you've indicated, it's best to have all USB devices unplugged until
you get it working (including any external USB hubs, etc).

Also, are you using USB keyboards or mice, or are they PS/2 devices?

Also, if you don't care about USB devices (only as a last resort), you
can use the kernel boot option "nousb" rather than "noprobe" to just
skip the USB stuff.

Deron Meranda