FC3 Suspend Problem on Laptop

mwood77 at frontiernet.net mwood77 at frontiernet.net
Tue Dec 28 23:37:14 UTC 2004

Hello all!  I'm new here, but so far, found this list to be a great
resource!  Hopefully I can cantribute soon...

Now for my first problem (read "most important") with my FC3 install.

I installed FC3 on my laptop and updated using up2date so everything is
current (including the kernel).  One of the main goals of having a
laptop for me is to be able to suspend, so I decided to tackle this
problem first.  Since the laptop I'm using (Dell Inspiron 8100) has no
support for ACPI, I added "acpi=off apm=on" to the kernel line in my
grub.conf.

Moment of truth, "apm -s" in a terminal session.  Laptop suspends.
Looking good.  Hit power button and screen returns to where it was.
Looks right.  BUT -- I have no prompt and cannot execute any commands.
I can hit enter and the curser moves.  I can even type.  But it's like
my shell isn't doing anything.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help.

MWood