/bin/loadkeys in rc.sysinit hangs during boot

Deron Meranda deron.meranda at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 12:38:16 UTC 2004

I have an FC3 system that hangs about 70% of the time on a boot while
still processing the rc.sysinit.  In particular it appears as if the
loadkeys executable just never returns.  I do know that loadkeys comes
from the kbd RPM package, but can't figure out what would make it
hang.

The boot screen will stop with something like,

  Configuring kernel parameters: ...... OK
  Setting clock (utc): ..... OK

And then nothing works or ever show progress.

When it does sporadically get past that part of the boot the system
operates perfectly.

I don't know if this matters, but I do have a USB keyboard and USB
mouse, both Logitech.  Everything was installed with the English
locale as defaults.  The keyboard works  just fine both within the
BIOS screens, as well as within the grub boot screens.  This is an AMD
Athlon 800MHz on a Asus K7V motherboard, latest BIOS (rev 1007).

Is there anything I can do to help get more diagnostic information?
(or fix this?)

--
Deron Meranda