Syslogd No longer updates log files

Nick Ortiz asunder at asundermn.net
Wed Dec 29 19:28:36 UTC 2004

Not sure if I did something but as of Dec 22 at 18:00 my log mail log files are
no longer updated by syslog. Last Entries occured when I reboot the machine.

Here's what I've done:

Recreated syslog.conf and verified I used tabs and not spaces.
I've checked the permissions on /dev/log
Removed any recent packages that I've installed (mailscanner, clamav)
I forced the sysklogd package to reinstall

When I first notice syslog was working I saw the following on boot:

Starting system logger: syslogd: error while loading shared libraries:
libc.so.6: failed to map segment from shared object: Permission denied

I corrected this by running: restorecon /lib/libc-2.3.4.so

I also got:

Starting portmap: portmap: error while loading shared libraries:
libnsl.so.1: failed to map segment from shared object: Permission denied

I also got this corrected.

Not sure what caused these error and what killed syslog but I thought I would
see if anyone had any suggestions