monitor remote rpm database

Jorge Fábregas fabregasj at prtc.net
Thu Dec 30 04:46:06 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 29 December 2004 10:28 am, mnikhil m wrote:
> But my question stands as when did the exact change/or installation
> happen , and what is the significance of numerical extensions .1,.2,.3
> in each of the files as I tried to diff

Hi,

Ok, I just found out about /var/log/rpmpkgs.  I didn't know this file existed
at all.  I turns out that this file is placed by a job running via /etc/
cron.daily  (see the rpm script there). It is basically the output of:

rpm -qa (q for query....a  for all)

The files with extensions you see are created by logrotate via:

/etc/logrotate.d/rpm

which basically rotates the file based on the rules specified in the above
configuration file.

I haven't think of a way to keep track if rpm's installed by the
users...Probably you'll need to create a script which will compare (using
diff) the rpmpkgs file with the previous day one...something like that. And
if you want to know WHEN exactly was it installed (hour, minute) that's
another thing. You'll have to investigate further (Google etc..).

HTH,
Jorge