kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!

Srinivas G. srinivasg at esntechnologies.co.in
Thu Dec 30 13:41:43 UTC 2004

Dear All,

I downloaded the Fedora Core 3 (kernel 2.6.9-1.667) ISO CDs from the
following link.

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/3/i386/iso/

I burn the CDs. I installed the Fedora Core 3 in an Intel Machine. It
was working fine.

Now I want to build the 2.6.6 kernel image. Then I downloaded the kernel
tar file from the following link.
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.6.tar.gz

After that I did the following steps.

1.    I copied the downloaded tar file to the /usr/src directory.

2.    I un tar the downloaded tar file.

3.    I changed the owner to ROOT by

      #chown -R root:root /usr/src/linux-2.6.6

After this I compiled the kernel by the following steps.

4.    #make menuconfig  -     to creating the config file

5.    #make clean

6.    #make bzImage

Now I changed the EXTRAVERSION in Makefile

7.    #make modules

8.    #make modules_install

9.    #make install     -     this will copy the bzImage file to /boot

                              directory and also updates the menu.list

                              i.e. grub.conf file and copies System.map
file etc.

Every thing goes fine. After rebooting the system through this new
kernel image I got the following error messages and system halted.

Red Hat nash version 4.1.18 starting

Enforcing mode requested but no policy loaded. Halting now.

Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!

I succeeded in building the new kernel image, but un succeeded in
booting from the new image.

I tried 2 to 3 times. I got the same error.

What am I doing wrong here? Please advice me with right one.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Srinivas G