configuring kernel parameters - hang

Ian Marr i.marr at btclick.com
Fri Dec 31 11:12:24 UTC 2004

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 16:13:10 -0500 Kevin Connolly at Mindspring wrote:
> I just talked a friend of mine into Linux (FC3). He loaded it up on a
Gateway
> G4 400Mhz fairly stock box with a 10G drive. When it starts up it hangs on

> "Configuring Kernel Parameters". Anyone have any ideas on how to correct
it?

I have just suffered from the same problem on a similar old Gateway PII
300-MHz box with a RIVA128 Graphics Card. A friend advised me to remove the
Red Hat Graphical Boot (rhgb) option on start up - this cures the problem
and allows the system to boot. Unfortunately now the X Server won't start so
I assume the RIVA128 card isn't supported (I'll solve that separately) but
at least I can log in now.

I removed the rhgb setting by hitting <enter> as grub is booting, selecting
the Linux kernel I want to boot, hitting <a> to amend the entry, deleting
"rhgb" from the boot command and letting it continue. I then removed the
same entry in /etc/grub.conf when I could login.

I hope this helps someone else.

Ian.

P.S. Thanks to CGB for the advice.