Average succes rate FC2 -> FC3

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Fri Dec 31 16:08:22 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-31 at 02:40, Rakotomandimby (R12y) Mihamina wrote:

> > If this is a remotely hosted box you will probably be better staying with
> > FC2 as long as it is supported unless there is some compelling reason for
> > an upgrade.
>
> Ok. And where could I find what is the currently supported version?
> On the fedora.redhat.com site, i dont see any "current supported version
> is: ...". It's just about checking very often that page.

I think the general rule for fedora is that the current release (now
FC3) and one previous version can be maintained with up2date or
'yum update', so you should plan to either re-install every-other
release or start watching for security/bug fixes yourself or pick
them up from a 'legacy' support site.  FC2 should continue to get
updates until FC4 is released.  I'm not quite sure why the 'legacy'
support site isn't backed into the same update repository so you
would not have to change configs to update older systems, but...

> In fact I would need recent version of a LAMP server + mail (SMTP+IMAP)
> server.

If you want longer support cycles and don't care about new features
you can go with the Redhat Enterprise release or one of the free
clones. If you like the Dovecot IMAP server you can rebuild the
fedora source RPM on RHEL/centos/whitebox.  Everything else should
be about the same from a server perspective.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com