The upgrade is complete..

Bruce W. Bigby bbigby at rochester.rr.com
Sun Feb 1 16:40:34 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-02-01 at 05:14, Michael Ben-Gershon wrote:
> I then gradually moved over my old stuff. I found that
> my quite acceptable P4-1500 with 512M and an old Radeon graphics card was
> just not up to the new desktop environment (which I find very pleasant to
> use) so I had to do a major hardwarre upgrade as well.

Michael, perhaps you only needed to upgrade your video card -- NOT your
whole system!!!  My wife's system is a Pentium III x 1 Ghz.  Although I
recently upgraded her memory from 256 MB to 640 MB, 256 MB was fine for
what she did with it.  I just wanted her to be able to open OpenOffice
on her machine and keep it open without inducing swapping when she
performed other tasks. Everything seemed to speed up quite a bit after I
increased her memory.

At one point, after doing a clean install of her system to RedHat 9, the
video was so damn slow.  After a while, I realized that previously, I
had been running her system in 16-bit graphics mode and I used 32-bit
graphics mode during the install of RH 9.  Two years had past since I
had updated her system, which used to be my system, so I had forgotten
that the ATI All-In-Wonder Pro 3D (PCI) card with 8 MB of RAM just
couldn't run in 32-bit graphics mode very well.  I reduced the color
depth to 16 bits and the video performance became very good again.  In
32-bits, video was a dog.  It didn't matter that my processor was very
fast.

At some point, I want to replace the old All-In-Wonder with an NVidia
and a Hauppauge Tv card and install MythTv, which looks very very
slick.  For now, my wife is happy with her setup so I'm in no rush to
rock the boat.
--
Bruce W. Bigby, http://home.rochester.rr.com/bigbyofrocny
Don't be fooled by sale pitches.  The only money that you save is