OT: Belkin wireless products

Michael Kearey mutk at iprimus.com.au
Mon Feb 2 06:58:52 UTC 2004

Andrew Robinson wrote:
> In today's Sunday newspaper, Office Max is advertising some very good
> rebate deals on Belkin 802.11g wireless products. (Actually they say
> 54G. Is there a difference?) I was looking at the wireless router and
> the wireless notebook card. The PC card would go in a Dell Latittude
> laptop that mostly runs Windows 2000, but on which I also run Linux
> (Redhat 9 currently, though I plan to update to Fedora Core 1). I know
> very little about the relative merits of different vendors' wireless
> products. So I was hoping to get some opinions from folks on this list.
>
> Is the Belkin router and adapter worth having? Will the laptop adapter
> work with Linux? Any thing else I should know about them?

I have a Belkin PCI card adapter , according to the box '54g' and
802.11b compatible. It's a ' Network controller: Broadcom Corporation
BCM94306 802.11g (rev 02)' for which there are no working drivers in
Linux. HOWEVER....

I managed to get it to work using the gadget available at
www.linuxant.com, if you feel like paying a few dollars ($19 US).

There is also a project that does the ndiswrapper.
http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/ that may get it working after a
bit of a fiddle. I haven't tried yet, and didn't know about it until
after I'd got the driver from linuxant :/

The thing I like about Belkin is the 'Life time warranty' if that's
any help to you . The thing I really dislike is that they don't have
GPL Linux drivers available..

Cheers,
Michael