OT: Questions about Gnome

Mitch Wiedemann mc2 at lightlink.com
Mon Feb 2 22:20:09 UTC 2004

Hi everyone,

I have some questions about the Gnome desktop, and would like your feedback.

I've been using KDE for about a year now, I chose it initially mostly
because of Konqueror, and its' ability to split the window horizontally
and vertically, and save "view profiles" which I find extremely useful.

Every so often I check out Gnome, but the file manager seems overly
simple for my needs, so I switch back.  I get the feeling that there
must be more to Gnome than I can see on the surface...

So my question is, Why do you use Gnome over other options? What are
its' pros and cons? What do you love about it?

<disclaimer>
These questions are not meant to start a desktop turf war!  I'm just a
guy who wants to be able to make good recommendations and decisions
about the best software for various uses.
KDE users, I already use/love/know KDE, so don't feel obligated to
respond, unless you have specific answers to my questions about Gnome.
Feel free to send your replies directly to me (mc2 at lightlink.com) to
avoid clutter of the list.
</disclaimer>

Thanks,