guys, help a newbie!

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Wed Feb 4 00:52:41 UTC 2004

On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 08:38:49PM +0800, Jasin #14 wrote:
> guys where do i do this stuff... i dunno where to type this..
>
> - Configure now your IP:
> ifconfig wlan0 192.168.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0
> route add -net default gw 192.168.0.1

At a command prompt (CTRL-ALT-F1, or in a terminal window on the
GUI desktop) either log in as root, or do "su - root" and enter the
password whem prompted. Then, type in those two commands. voila!

I don't know the purpose of those commands, perhaps you want them to
be in effect every time you boot? if so, you can add them to the end
of /etc/rc.d/rc.local.

> Note: This IP configuration will work with most default configurations.
> Make sure you set the right local (wlan0) and gateway (gw) ip addresses.
> You may even have DHCP enabled on your access point, in that case you
> can obtain your ip automatically with dhclient
>
> Note2: I have just installed Gentoo on my laptop and emerge takes care
> of evrything. All you have to do is:
> USE="usb -pci" emerge linux-wlan-ng
>
> it came from http://julian.coccia.com/article-53.html
>

> Jasin14 Network - web site design and development - http://jasin14.tk/