anti virus solution for postfix

James Kosin jkosin at intcomgrp.com
Wed Feb 4 19:24:02 UTC 2004

Dear Paul Domeanu,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matthias Saou"
<thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net>
To: <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 1:32 PM
Subject: Re: anti virus solution for postfix

| Paul Dorneanu wrote :
|
| > Is there any good free anti-virus solution for Postfix?
| > If not, from your experience, what the best A-V solutions for a mail
| > server, especially Postfix, and how much do they cost? (giving that
| > there are some domains and virtual accounts...)
|
| Definitely clamav. You can check out a quick'n dirty doc I've made when I
| installed a mail server with postfix, clamav etc. (ldap, spamassassin...)

I can definately suggest clamav !!!
I was able to setup sendmail to use it in less than 5 minutes....  Once I
reallized what it actually was.
I was originally only going to use the scaner part of clamav when I saw the
filter benifit.  It was extreemly easy to setup.  Only had to change a few
things from the default in the documentation.   The directories
changed......

You can go here and follow the simple instructions for Fedora for
downloading and installing and updating via yum.....
http://www.clamav.net/binary.html#pagestart

Then start the `clamd' service and `clamav-milter' service...  and setup
everything.
Be sure to start a cron job for `freshclam' ...  or start it as a demon....
Also, be sure to `chkconfig --level 345' for the above services as well...

Be sure to look at the documentation also; but, be aware that the
documentation is not completely correct.  An example:  the documentation
lists that the filter socket connection is /var/run/clmilter.sock....  this
is slightly wrong.  The script that runs the service puts the socket as
/var/run/clamav/clamav-milter.sock....