Boot Disk

Bevan C. Bennett bevan at fulcrummicro.com
Thu Feb 5 20:10:04 UTC 2004

Michael Gargiullo wrote:

>>Going back... I don't seem to be able to reproduce the original problem.
>>
>># mkbootdisk --device /tmp/foo.img 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl
>

> I've tried this... I get a No space left on disk error...

Is there anywhere on your harddrive that you do have space to try this?
Note that I'm outputting to a file, -not- directly to floppy.

>>What version of mkbootimg do you have?
>>Are large numbers of strange drivers involved?

My point is that the kernel itself is -not- inherently too big to make a
boot floppy from in at least my straight FC1 install, which implies that
there's something else with either your configuration or version of
mkbootimg that is causing the trouble.

> How can I make a bootable cd (point to a website) that will act like a
> disk made via mkbootdisk.
>
> My only cd-burner right now is on a windows machine.

Google suggests the following might help:

http://cfm.gs.washington.edu/~adioso/HOWTO/RedHat/RHCustomCD.xml
http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue68/tag/11.html