newbie PS1 config question

Ko Pu ko_pu at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 6 01:13:38 UTC 2004

>1) be sure to not be in graphical mode:
>init 3
>now X server is off and you are on the text mode console
>
>2) change the entry HOSTNAME in /etc/sysconfig/network to what you like,
>i.e. workstation or with FQDN workstation.home.lan
>
>3) edit /etc/hosts and modify the line with your private (LAN) IP to
>something like:
>192.168.0.5    workstation.home.lan    workstation
>If you have a fix IP by your DSL provider the hosts file may reflect
>that and you can add that to /etc/hosts too
>
>4) service network restart
>
>5) now your new hostname should be assigned, if unsure reboot
>
>6) init 5
>you get back into graphical X server mode

Thanks so much, it worked, two questions still not clear for me:
1) since my dsl provider uses dhcp, does it mean that everytime the ip
address is changed by the provider, I have to make change to the etc/hosts
file?

2) you mentioned to use text mode (init 3), is it the same as using terminal
in X Window?

Thanks in advance for your comment/suggestion

Ko Fei Pu
mailto:ko_pu at nospamhotmail.com