which file manager you use?

David L Norris dave at webaugur.com
Fri Feb 6 05:54:56 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-02-06 at 03:37, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> Question : how do you use xterms to move files from a to b? Typing in
> directory names is a real pain. (even with tab completion)

Not to taint the xterm nostalgia but you can drag and drop to
gnome-terminal.

(Don't get me wrong, I spend 16 hours a day in a terminal. I type so
much I bought a chording keyboard to help alleviate the strain.)

> then again, cut&paste in nautils isn't great either

Cut and paste is a terrible kludge in any file manager.  The problem is
that drag and drop doesn't work with a single-windowed
web-browser-oriented file manager (aka "Windows Explorer wannabes").  So
you need some sort of kludge like cut/paste or complex split-frame
browser windows.  However, drag and drop works spectacularly in a
spatially oriented file manager like Nautilus 2.6 (or even in Nautilus
2.4 if you change a dozen preferences).

(What was my point?  Err, if I had one I guess it would be which task is
more difficult for the human mind:  1) Recognize a single person among 5
crowds of a thousand people.  2) Find that person in the middle of room
657 of a building with 500 hallways with 10,000 identical doors.)

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/