8139too driver has problem?

SHIBUYA Katsutoshi shibuya at bu-denken.co.jp
Fri Feb 6 06:27:11 UTC 2004

Hi.  I'm using RTL8139 based NIC and having a trouble.
It works just fine at day-time but it frequentry stops working at
midnight (23:00-6:00 varing day by day).
When it occurs, all communications via eth0 device don't work; ping
from the host to another host, ping from another host to the host, ssh
connections, smtp connections etc.
When I unplug the ethernet RJ45 connector once and plug it again, it
becomes work well again.
Once I tried "/sbin/ifdown eth0" then "/sbin/ifup eth0", but the device
was still stalled.
Rebooting the Linux the connection became OK.
Watching the LED on the ethernet HUB, the link looks like OK and has
signals.
No messages are left on /var/log/messages, /var/log/secure,
/var/log/cron around that moment.
Finally I created a small script which checks the ping result to the
neighbor host and if failed reboot the Fedora. (since I am tired to be
a sentry all the night.)

I found a document mentioning about such problem;
http://linux24.sourceforge.net
Here they say "RTL 8139 cards sometimes stop responding. Both drivers
don't handle this quite good enough yet."
but in the "Fixed" section...

How do you think about this problem?  My host has been cracked every
night?  Or 8139too driver still has problem?
How can I fight against it?
Any suggestions appreciated.

#I'm sorry with my poor english...
---