Asus A7V8X Motherboard Onboard Graphics

Jon Lindberg jlindbe at uplogon.com
Sat Feb 7 07:57:58 UTC 2004

Martin Halford wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have built a budget system based on the Asus A7V8X motherboard to
> try out Fedora Core 1 as a desktop replacement.
>
> The only problem I have had is with the Via UniChrome KM400 integrated
> graphics which does not seem to be supported.  Normal displays are
> fine using a generic VESA driver, but in games (such as Tux Racer or
> flightgear) it falls over.
>
> Someone on the Via forum has had a go at trying to adapt RH9 drivers
> but has failed.
>
> Drivers:
>
> http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=296
>
> Does anyone here have a solution.  Buying a graphics card defeats the
> object of building what is otherwise a very cheap system, but may be
> the only option?
>
> Martin

Hi Martin

               My experiance with onboard video and sound cards has been
pretty negative. I run
a 64mb nvidia gforce2 mx that I got a couple of years ago for around
$30(US), and it works great with linux. I think you could probabally
find a gforce3 or 4  for about that now. Flightgear  puts a good load on
my g2 so it may be time for me to upgrade :-).

Lindy