User Linux

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Sun Feb 8 03:00:58 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-02-04 at 01:26, Chadley Wilson wrote:

> Linux should be 90% cheaper than Windows All round.

	Linux is 100% cheaper than any version of MS WinXX.  You d/l an ISO off
of the 'net and install it.  Maybe you can count the usage fees for the
'net connection but that's getting a little picky.

> Look at codeweavers by the time you have bought codeweavers crossover
> office you might as well go and buy windows to run your windows program
> it cost the same and at least with windows theres no debugging involved
> in making the thing work.

	You don't need to run the crossover products unless you really want
to.  I have not had to use them for anything I do, work or personal,
even though I bought them.  They aren't necessary.  They're nice, but
not necessary.

> Yes but for 16 weeks labour in front  of a screen to get jobs done
> because half the stuff doesnt work out of the box, 90% of it requires
> updates and tweaking.

	Man, what are you doing with your systems?  I've spent more time
updating and tweaking Win2K systems than I ever spent on Linux systems.
And that's even with the stupid nVIDIA driver crap.

> Not to mention how much slower linux is than windows.

	On what planet?!?  Sorry, but you have to actively _force_ Linux to run
slower than Win2K or WinXP.

> So now I cant load it on the old PC and have GUI because it needs at
> leased a 32MB VGA card to RUN properly.

	There are many other Linux distros that will happily load on this kind
of system.

> Quite honestly half the point is that I save on the software to have
> bigger better hardware. Now I have to by the smallest thing possible
> because for my needs [every one needs customising] I need a distro
> (R1500) then Crossover to run SQL clients (R900) then you need the cros
> over plugins for quick time (R300) and so on and so forth.

	Only if you have a desire to pay for them.  You could have all of the
above functionality for $0.00 up front and a low monthly cost of $0.00.
It's all up to you.

> Here you are missing the point, the people who assist you (RH) in
> knowing what is in demand are those trying to get it working by means of
> comunication throught these various lists. What about the Mrs Jones who
> is poor who has three kids and and is still paying the bond. Shee need a
> tool to write a letter and send mail and do some online grocery
> shopping.
> The kids want to play some games and Dad wants to tweak the PC and
> measure its performance so that he can go to work and brag.

	All of the above is being done by my 65 year old mother.  See
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=6562.

> You dont need a personal firewall just keep your system updated and yes
> AV is extra but its also becoming necessary for linux and it is also
> extra there.

	Not in the least.  There's no need for the kind of AV protection you
need for WinXX on a Linux system.  And there never will be.