Make install Problems

Adam Cooper adam.cooper at port.ac.uk
Mon Feb 9 11:15:39 UTC 2004

Hi guys,

I'm quite new at this (Linux user for a week) I've figured out a lot but
I have a extremely annoying problem.

I have a good idea on how to compile programs with ./configure, make and
make install. However I am having problems with the final stage. A
message similar to this:

cd /usr/local/bin && rm -f wineg++ && ln -s winegcc wineg++
ln: creating symbolic link `wineg++' to `winegcc': Operation not
permitted
make[2]: *** [install] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/coopera/wine-20040121/tools/winegcc'
make[1]: *** [winegcc/__install__] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/coopera/wine-20040121/tools'
make: *** [tools/__install__] Error 2

Has appeared when trying to make install both Wine and The Gimp. Both
programs get through all the first stages but fail late in this one. I
am su root for both of these. It's a pain this as it's stopping me from
getting the latest versions. What can I do about it? What is wrong?

Thank you for any help.

Adam Cooper