Sensors and sis5595.o

M.Hockings veeshooter at hockings.net
Mon Feb 9 20:54:39 UTC 2004

Randy Kelsoe wrote:

>M.Hockings wrote:
>

>>>Boards with ITE 8705 often show a misdetected sis5595. Most likely the
>>>right driver is it87.
>>>

>>I only have physical access to two of the machines at the moment, one is
>>at a remote site.  Even the two that I have access to it would not be
>>convienent (for both me and the users) to pop the covers off right now.
>>However, I was able to find the board on the Web at
>>http://www.kobian.com/products.php?productid=340.
>>
>>It indicates that is uses "System Hardware Monitor: Built-in ITE8705F".
>>But with only the it87 driver it appears that sensors does not seem to
>>return any data.  Are there any special tricks to make this work?
>>

>In your /etc/rc.local you should have:
>
>modprobe i2c-isa
>modprobe it87
>
>If these modules aren't loaded, load them manually.
>
>Type sensors -s
>Then sensors
>
>and post the output. I'm not sure what you mean by "it appears that
>sensors does not seem to return any data." When you type 'sensors' Do
>you get a list of the sensors with no data, or do you get nothing?

Hi Randy,

Sorry for being unclear.  When I was manually issuing the modprobe
statements (i2c-isa, it87, sis5595) sensors was returning nothing (no
output). With the failing modprobe for the sis5595 removed from rc.local
(and a reboot)  "sensors" was returning "no sensors found" which I was
interpreting as the  it87 returning no data.  However uncommenting the
"sleep 2" to give the following in rc.local gives joy after the latest
reboot (can you tell I'm an ex-Windows user ? :-).

modprobe i2c-isa
modprobe it87
sleep 2
sensors -s

Originally the "sleep 2" was commented out and it was tagged as optional
so I had not uncommented it.  With the sleep uncommented all seems to be
working.  The values are a bit bogus so I guess I need to compare the
BIOS values with the sensors values and update sensors.conf to make them
match.

Many thanks, for kicking me in the right direction (remove the
references to sis5595) !

Mike