Add/Remove Program Problem

Martin Gehrke mjg2101 at columbia.edu
Wed Feb 11 15:37:20 UTC 2004

I am trying to use an old computer (500 MHz, 30 gig) as a music server. So i
put on fedora.
I transfer all my music to it and find it has a nice iTunes like rip-off
entitled RhythmBox. It says it has mp3
support but doesn't turn out to really like them, i.e. doesn't load anything
but .ogg files. I find out that
i have an old version so i download the newest. It isn't an RPM but i have
to configure and compile the source
code. I find out that beceaus i primarily was going to use it as a music
server i didn't check the development box
so my computer doesn't have any compilers. When i put in the fedora disc 2
cd and try to update, everytime i get a
"error updating. exiting." I thought it was a cd error so i through out the
old cd, downloaded the ISO again, md5sum
checked it and it was A OK, tried again and failed. i have about 5 gigs of
music on it.

I have read some posts and it seems some people have been having trouble
with Fedora recognizing CDs but they didn't have trouble if
they put the RPM on the harddrive and installed them from their.

I have not had time to do that yet, but will try after school today.

Marty