Value of WinXP and RHPW [was re:User Linux]

David Jansen jansen at strw.leidenuniv.nl
Wed Feb 11 18:03:27 UTC 2004

On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 12:38:14PM -0500, jrt1 at duke.edu wrote:
[...]
> Gimp has been ported to Windows.  Open Office is available for Windows.
> So I think adding them to the windows price is also not fair.  However, it
> is true that Open Office and Gimp come pre-installed with RH.
>
> I use Linux because I like it, not because it costs less.  Ultimately,
> we want the Linux experience to be better than windows.  Pre-installed,
> useful software does help accomplish this goal.

Apart from price lists and just as much off-topic as most of this
discussion], I have another observation here: Why is it people are ok
with downloading and installing tons of additional software to turn
windows into something which starts to resemble a decent operating
system on the one hand, but on the other hand, this list is swamped with
requests like "why doesn't FC include nvidia/mp3/flash/java/your_favorite
non_free_or_otherwise_unavailable_app_here" ?

I don't know the answer, just something to share with the list...

David Jansen